||[Jun. 14th, 2008|10:54 am]
Because I've seen this on 3 different journals in the past few days (3 that have absolutely no connection to each other, by the way) I figured I could stand to update. |
1. First Name: Sara
2. Age: 23
3. Location: New Brunswick, NJ, USA
4. Occupation: Children's Library Associate for New Brunswick Free Public Library
5. Partner?: Jon, who I have been with happily for four months.
6. Kids: Someday? Ideally before I'm 30.
7. Brothers/Sisters: My sister is 27, married 3 years, has a dog, and wants to travel more. She's also doing really well in school, but just lost her job due to lay offs and is fighting with state unemployment because she is a student. We actually get along fairly well, though we've never been close.
8. Pets: Back home in Virginia is Molly the dog, 14, Callie the cat, 16 and Lily the cat, 12 or 13. Here in NJ are Charlotte and Bailey, the kittens, though they are about to hit a year old. I would have more pets if I had a bigger place.
9. List the 3-5 biggest things going on in your life:
-getting through school
-My job...while it can be draining it is showing me that this is something I really want to do. Though ocassionally I think i need to drop it all and go become a kids art teacher (or get my masters degree in art: crafts specifically). Or open a bakery.
-Jon. We spend lots of time together and we have a great rhythm in the relationship. I am also enjoying being serious but not feeling like i need to be in the far future right now.
-Friends. I was super scared to come to NJ basically alone. I knew one person at Rutgers, who I hadn't seen since high school and hadn't even been talking to regularly in years. But, the first day of classes, I made two awesome friends, who ended up not just being friends of convenience but we all seem to get each other. Add that to getting to work with another good friend (having a real peer, not just in age but in psyche at work is amazing). Not to mention getting to live with a group of four amazing random people this year.
-Anxiety. I am working to deal with some of the anxiety that has crippled me for most of my life. I can't say that much progress has been made yet, but i feel good for at least trying.
10) Where and for what did you go to school for?:
I went to CNU for undergrad, where I majored in English with a creative writing concentration. After a year off that included a course in Japanese and a dance class at a community college, I am working on my MLIS at Rutgers.
11) Parents? My mom was "laid off" about the time she was going to retire, so she got a year of pay without work and just recently started using her retirement pay. She gets a lot of time to garden and do the things she wants to do. If I were her I would be sleeping all the time, but she doesn't. It is pretty awesome.
My dad passed away in January due to a head injury and complications from the alcoholism he struggled with for years. I do miss him, but I know he's in a better place. When i was home at the end of May (for the first time since winter break) we buried his ashes. It was hard.
12) Who are some of your closest friends?: Jon, David, the Library Ladies, my roommates from this year... I have close friends back home, and the one thing I love is that even when we struggle to keep in touch, every time we get back together it is just like before. I love that we barely miss a beat.
Perhaps someday I'll write a real, insightful entry, but don't hold your breath.